It’s the middle of winter, and your house is beginning to feel very cold. Do you need a furnace replacement? No one wants to find themselves in the middle of winter with a broken furnace. Luckily, there are a few signs that can alert you to a problem before your system fails. Here are 5 helpful signs that you may need a furnace replacement.
- You Keep Adjusting Your Thermostat. If you are finding that it is necessary to constantly adjust your thermostat, it could be a sign that your furnace is having a hard time heating your home. It could also be a sign that your thermostat needs to be replaced. A professional can help you determine if this symptom is a sign you need a furnace replacement or a new thermostat.
- Uneven Temperatures Throughout Your House. If you find some rooms or areas are colder than others, it may be a sign that your furnace is unable to create enough heat for your house. Your furnace may not be powerful enough anymore to push and pull the air through your vents. It may be time to replace your furnace with a more effective heating system.
- Strange Noises or a Long Silence. Your furnace will usually make some sort of noise, but if you notice different noises that are increasing in frequency, it may mean that mechanical parts are coming loose. A long silence could be a sign as well of bigger problems. It is a good idea to have a professional look at your furnace when you hear unusual noises. We may be able to repair your furnace and prevent a complete furnace replacement.
- A Change in the Color of the Pilot Flame. A gas furnace should have a blue pilot flame. If your flame is flickering or is a yellow color, this is a sign that the gas is not burning correctly. This can cause carbon monoxide to not safely vent away from your system. For your safety, we recommend giving us a call to inspect your furnace and find a solution.
- The Age of Your Furnace. A typical furnace lasts 15-20 years. Of course certain models can last longer when serviced consistently and given care. But even a working furnace will become less effective as it reaches that 15 to 20 year age. This results in higher heating bills each month. It is important to have your furnace regularly inspected and serviced as it ages. During this appointment we can give you a realistic estimate of how long until you will need a furnace replacement.
Remember to watch out for each of these signs because they may indicate a furnace replacement is needed soon. If you would like to schedule an inspection or a furnace replacement, give us a call at Morrisville Heating and Air, Inc.